Friday, October 30, 2009

Animals!!!

So among the other highlights of being in India is the wildlife. While I haven’t been to a national park proper to see wild tigers and elephants, I have seen more than my share if animals that would be considered exotic back home but are pretty commonplace over here, these are some of my favorite pics.

Camels!! Domesticated of course but they are all over in Nothern India. I saw one while eating lunch at a roadside dhaba in Rajastan pulling a family and another in Agra just a couple miles away from the Taj Mahal.

Parrots!! I saw this parrot while I was staying at the Neemrana Fort, which I blogged about a couple weeks ago. I was just relaxing outside in the morning and this guy flew right onto the balcony and totally posed for me!

Monkeys!!! They are all over in India and they can be quite rascally, stealing people’s food and whatnot. These pics are from a fort in Agra, they climbed down the fort walls and were looking for handouts from tourists. Some tourists got brave and got too close and the monkeys started yelling and chasing them. I just sat back and watched this same thing happen three times before I lost interest, it was pretty funny to keep seeing people make the same mistake and then the monkeys and humans react the same way.

Peacocks!!! These guys are everywhere down here in Coimbatore, they are really beautiful and large birds. They can’t fly great but they can for short distances, maybe like a chicken or something. They look really awkward and with those long tailfeathers you’d think that they’d be eaten by predators pretty easily but in fact, they are often the predator. I hear one of the main things on their diet are snakes, which they can kill and then eat!

Elephants!!! I have yet to see any wild elephants but I have seen domesticated elephants (either temple elephants or ones doing labor) in Chennai, Coimbatore, Goa and Delhi. They always are painted up with pretty designs and flowers and if you ever forgot that you were in India, all you need to see is an elephant lumbering down the street to remind you!

No comments:

Post a Comment