Wednesday, October 21, 2009

B-Day In Goa


I had a really nice time relaxing in Goa for a few days. It was a little intimidating going alone but I had got a lot of recommendations from friends on what to do, where to stay, etc that really helped me out. The beaches were every bit as beautiful as advertised, huge, many empty and most surrounded by stunning cliffs and mountains. You are often reminded you are in India though by the cows that are hanging out on most beaches and the local children constantly coming up to you trying to sell stuff.

Friday night was Diwali, one of the biggest festivals in India. It is celebrated all over and is often referred to as the festival of lights because everyone lights candles and lamps and there are fireworks everywhere. One part of the celebration is unique to Goa though. They build these huge demons and fill them with flammable things and firecrackers, and parade them around all night during Diwali and then burn them at sunrise. It was a really cool celebration to witness and a great leadup to my b-day.


I went down to a southern beach after Diwali to a place called Palolem and rented a ‘beach shack’ for less than 15 bucks a night. It is basically a little hut that just contains a bed and a mosquito net but it was a great deal to be in the jungle right on the beach for that price!

As for my actually b-day celebrations, it was absolutely amazing but not anything like I expected it to be- I shoulda figured though, that’s totally how India is (amazing but unexpected). There was a Diwali party at my group of beach shacks on the 17th and I was sitting at a table by myself having a beer and some finger foods (I hadn’t met any friends yet). The guys and gals at the table next to me started chatting with me and it soon came out that they’d been staying in Goa for several years. We ended up trading India experiences most of the night and I had a great time. About an hour before midnight, which was going to be my b-day proper, they suggested we take a trip down to a nearby truck stop (literally) on the national highway that had really good Goan ‘country liquor’ and Indian food. So, I rang in my 30th in a little truck stop full of Indian truckers eating dhal fry and drinking country liquor- AMAZING but totally bizarre. The following day I just lazed around the beach and that night the friends I made the night before invited me over to their place for a home cooked meal. I have only had a couple home cooked meals during my time in India so a nice chicken meal and red wine was a great way to finish off my 30th. It was a great trip and just reminds me how incredible this country is and how generous and great some people can be to total strangers.





No comments:

Post a Comment