Tuesday, October 27, 2009

India en Español


I brought my IPod to Coimbatore this time. It is a great way to have fun in the car, two of the guys also have MP3 players so we trade off DJing while we’re driving about. I have been trying to figure out what on my IPod they’d dig the most, I’ve given them a sample of about everything from Fela Kuti to Guns n Roses and from Dr. Dre to Beck. I think the biggest hit by far has been anything and everything in Spanish though. Those of you that know me well know I’m pretty obsessed with Latin Jazz and Afro-Cuban music and they’ve been loving all the Tito Punte and Mongo Sanamaria I’ve been playing but they also like all the contemporary music I have like Shakira and Los Amigos Invisibales. It was a surprise hit but I love the fact that when we get in the car and I’m like ‘what should we listen to’ the answer seems to always be ‘Spanish music’!!! I can see some similarities between Spanish and Tamil and Hindi, all three languages roll their R’s a lot and the pronunciations in general are kinda similar (at least when compared to English). One of the most fun parts about it has been trading how to say things in different languages now, I’ve been teaching them how to say things in Spanish in exchange for how to say them in Tamil and Hindi. I think one of the best received words I’ve taught everyone is mamacita, for better or worse it’s become part of the vocab here now!

No comments:

Post a Comment