Monday, October 26, 2009

Jah Tablas!


I went to a used instrument store a couple weeks ago (the Atomic Music of Chennai I’d call it) and got to play around with a pair of tablas. They are two little hand drums about the size of bongos and you can get a really good sound out of them. The guy at the store taught me how to make the signature “bwooong” sound- after hitting the table you use your wrist and press from the outside toward the middle and this changes the tension in the drum, creating the sound. That probably makes no sense- this kina stuff is much easier to show then write about. Anyways, now I’m all hot for the tablas and am wondering if I can fit a pair in my suitcase. Here is a link to a tabla virtuoso named Amrat Hussain playing tablas and mixing Indian and reggae styles! I loved it and when I showed it to my friend Adam all he could say was Jah Tablas! They aren't quite together but they're close and I give them credit for trying to mix to very different stlyes- tell me what ya think!

No comments:

Post a Comment