Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Music / Musica / संगीत / இசை !!!

As anyone who knows me is aware, music is a big part of my life. I've had a lot of fun swapping music with my friends over here, exchanging songs in English and Spanish for songs in Tamil and Hindi. Last time I was here I got my guys hooked on Spanish music and this time I've turned them on to reggae. In exchange, I've heard some great Hindi and Tamil jams and I thought I'd share some of my faves! While rocking in our car it can get quite multilingual by the way, yesterday we had music playing in Spanish while I was talking to a friend in English while my friend was speaking in Kannada on the phone and two other coworkers were chattin in Tamil- I thought my head was about to explode!

Rajnikanth- 'The Boss' of Tamil Cinema... he deserves his own post, which I hope to give soon



இசை= Isai in Tamil, which means music. This jam is from an early 90's Rajnikanth movie, and despite the hip gyrations and general cheesyness, it's a really good song and the video is kinda fun!



संगीत = Sangetha in Hindi, which means music. This jam is about a dude who works for NASA at Goddard in Maryland (my native!) who goes back to India- it makes me want to rent an RV over here and tour India in style!



Musica= well, music in Spanish. I have an affinity for big band salsa, Afro-Cuban, etc and my homies over here seem to really dig it too. Here's a jam we've ben rockin in the car often!



Music from Jamaica- it took my 2nd time over here to get my guys hooked on reggae, despite the similarties I see between India and Jamacia. Hey- both cultures are tropical, spiritual, got messed with by the British, and a crossover of tablas and reggae is promising! I've finally converted folks though and now they're all about it- this one has to be the communal favorite at the moment, with the whole car talkin bout too much zuh-zuh-zuh-zuh-zuh-zuh too much watchie-watchie-wah...

No comments:

Post a Comment