Friday, July 10, 2009

This Week in Coimbatore

This week I’ve been out of touch with the intertron because I’ve been in Coimbatore, a city in the western part of Tamil Nadu. It’s up in the mountains and has a much cooler temp than Chennai. I thought I’d share some pics with you from the journey!

Me on the train- it was pretty cramped, I don’t think they’re made for a 6 foot guy, especially with luggage in your bed, look how close my head is to the roof!

They have us stacked 3 high as you can see. This is not like the sleepers cars you see in the movies with private rooms and the like, you are up close and personal with a bunch of other people, with no privacy at all. The morning was especially interesting- the best I can describe is starting at six there was an orchestra of “ccchhhhwwwahhttt” phlem coughing noises, farting, and cell phone ringing.

Coimbatore is in the Western Ghats and the mountains really are stunning.

The train.

These snakes were a good price. BTW, burger means chicken burger here.

MJ RIP. Love, Coimbatore.

Police have these little stations in the middle of intersections here. They kinda direct traffic but is seems like they just yell a lot through a loudspeaker. My friend said they were sometimes shouting slogans about driving safe and minding your speed.

Jesus is pretty big here but BABY Jesus is huge- seriously. In Chennai I’ve seen several Infant Jesus temples, I don’t know what the deal is. I guess they think similar to Ricky Bobby if anyone’s seen Talladega Nights.

Kollywood Kowboyz.


Coimbatore billboards- from left to right- Superstar actor Rajni, TN politicians, communist poster (see red hammer and sickle flag above it), rival TN politicians and an ad for a jewelry/gold shop.

This dessert is called Falooda and it is the BOMB! Top layer is ice cream, then dried fruit, then more ice cream, noodles, sherbet, rose milk and jello at the bottom. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment