Saturday, June 27, 2009

Indian Fruit, Part One

Man, there is so much fruit here that I’ve never heard of. It’s totally boss! There are a bunch more I have yet to try but here’s the lowdown on three new (to me) ones I’ve had so far.

Jackfruit

I’ve seen these things growing on trees in Brazil but I never tried one. They can weigh up to 80 lbs and have been known to kill people when they fall out of the tree. From what I understand it’s minor surgery to actually get the fruit, you have to cut it 10 different ways to get through all the woody and starchy layers to the fruit. The pic I stole from the internet show it whole, cut open and then the fruit. As for the fruit itself-it kinda dry, it looks about the size of a slice of mandarin orange, but it’s way drier, the outside is almost fruit rollup consistency but it’s really sweet and kinda like a dryer pineapple. In other words- delicious! I’m not really describing it right but that’s the best I got!

Lychee

They kinda look like the shape and size of strawberries on the outside but the skin is inedible, like an orange rind- you peel it off to get to the white, fleshy and juicy inside (see pic). I’d compare it (kinda/sorta) to the consistency and taste of a grape, but again, that’s inadequate. They’re also supposed to be high in vitamin C, so they can help me stay healthy!

Muskmelon

Basically a cantaloupe but it has more seeds in the middle and its got a more spiky skin rather than the rough but non-spiky skin we see in the states. It might also be juicer but maybe I just had a really good one, so I’m not sure.

I like that all three of these fruits have an inedible outer layer, so that what you’re actually eating isn’t exposed to the elements and grossness of the outside world till you peel/cut it, I think this helps them be very friendly food to someone new to India!

OK, and they also are famous here for mangoes in all colors, flavors, shapes and sizes. I thought I knew my mangoes but I’ve never seen many of these varieties and they really are better here than any I’ve ever had before, but I think I’ll save that for another post. It’ll be a good excuse to go on an all-mango diet for a while!

2 comments:

  1. I love lychee, and you'll be able to get plenty of it when you return to the Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I was going to say the same thing! Lychee's are totally yummy, & so are lychee martinis.

    ReplyDelete