Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Kovai III: A Rapidly Changing City


Having spent over 6 months in Coimbatore between 2009 and 2011, one of the most striking things to me is how much the city has grown over the space of just two years.  I’ve seen roads go from 2 to 6 lanes, farmland become hotels and condos, and seen the Coimbatore airport go from an old Air Force building to a state of the art terminal.  The city truly is booming right now, and I hope that is all for the better.  While rapid growth is certainly good for the economy of the city and its residents, there can be a downside to unbridled growth- the poor can get pushed out of areas they have lived for generations, traffic seems to get worse by the day and basic infrastructure such as electricity and sewage have unable to keep up with the influx of new people.  I see many signs that Coimbatore is trying to do it right- that is grow in a way that is responsible, and I hope the city keeps up the good work.

 Pantaloons- My favorite store name at Coimbatore's 1st mall!

Coimbatore had it’s first mall open this year, and this is a big deal for the city.  Previously, one main road in the city, Cross Cut Road was the shopping area in the city- stores lining either sides, neon lights everywhere, and hordes of people.  The new mall offers a more western shopping experience, although I prefer the hussle and bussle of Cross Cut Road.  I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder, but sometimes I think the newer and more modern is not always better- being able to haggle and wander the streets is a much more fun, and Indian, experience to me than strolling through an AC mall- at least to me.
Sensory overload on Cross Cut Road
The mall also has a bowling alley in it- the 1st in Coimbatore.  I went with some friends to play a few weeks ago, and lost miserably.  I think most folks had not seen bowling before, because a huge crowd gathered to watch us bowl with great curiosity.  It was also funny because the crowd was actively cheering my Indian friends, and rather silent while I bowled- I think they were rooting for their fellow countrymen (and maybe against me)!

Look at the crowds lined up to watch us bowl!

With the boom of new industries and businesses in Coimbatore, the city is sure to change more in coming years.  Three new fancy hotels have gone up this year and two more are on the way, and you can see change everywhere.  I just hope with all the changes, Kovai keeps its charm- less polluted then Chennai, and less traffic than Bangalore!

No comments:

Post a Comment