Monday, August 2, 2010

Dosa Adventures!



So, part of my work here takes me to police stations, some in remote areas, to solicit their cooperation for our research. On a recent visit to one of the most remote of these, the police insisted that I try a ‘village dosa’, saying that what I get in Coimbatore doesn’t compare with dosas that are made in their village. When I heard village dosa all I could think of was the potential havoc that could be wreaked on my bowels from such a meal. I tried to explain that I had already eaten (even though I hadn’t) but they were insistent- it was hard to say no since A) I wanted to be a good guest and not offend B) I need their cooperation for the project and C) well, they are the police after all. To my surprise and delight, it was one of the best dosas and most delicious chutneys I’d ever had. The dosa was extra soft and really tasty and the chutney was spicier and thicker than any I’d ever had. I gave myself 24 hours to make sure everything was OK afterward but I can now say that I’m officially a fan of village dosas!

It was so good in fact that after we left the police station we went to the little restaurant where they got them from and had another! I’d never seen dosas cooked this way but they have a wood burning fire and cook them on a flat metal grill on top. If anyone is ever going to or from Coimbatore to Polachi and doesn’t mind taking a 20 minute detour, stop by the village of Vadakkipalayam and check them out! Send me an email and I can give you details, as far as I know the ‘restaurant’ doesn’t have a name. I’ll certainly be arriving hungry whenever I need to go back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment